Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mac Convert

For a PR guy who is used to Windows, the idea of switching over to a Mac was a difficult one.

We have an iBook G4 at home - and frankly, I find it annoying to use. Or rather, I used to. Over the years, I've grown accustomed to their nuances and since most of my writing and such was done at the office, it really didn't affect my day-to-day chores.

So when I was looking for a new laptop to manage my business - I decided to check out both PCs and Macs in the interest of keeping my options open.

My choices came down to this:

Buy a PC laptop and then separately buy a customized PC-based POS system

or

Buy a MacBook Pro and use the laptop as my POS system by virtue of the Mac software called Checkout.

And the winner was...the MacBook Pro. It has pretty much everything I need and what it doesn't have (yet), like the cash drawer, bar code scanner, credit card slider, receipt printer - was easily gotten thanks to www.checkoutapp.com - the website that lists all of the recommended and compatible hardware to get your business up and running.

I had the Mac Geniuses put it all together for me and it is now installed with Microsoft Office, Checkout and Quickbooks among many other standard items and some other things I got for myself.

I downloaded Firefox today on the new rig - which I find to be much more user-friendly than Safari for web browsing.

Here's to hoping it works as smoothly as the ordering and development process has been so far. And the business consultant at the Mac store was great too. Really helpful in keeping me focused on what I need now and what I might need later. Great customer service - and the store is only a few minutes away in case I ever need anything.

I ordered the hardware today from a guy named Scott at (name of distributor) and can expect to receive it within the next few days.

No comments: