Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Institute of Culinary Education

I had the distinct pleasure of being invited to talk about building a food-service related business at my Alma Mater, the Institute of Culinary Education (I.C.E).

My former professor, Brian Buckley, is greatly responsible for any success I will have with this business. His class really made this concept come to life and made the planning of it possible - and what was great was that he was serious and well-learned about he was telling us, but never lost sight of the fact that the restaurant/food-service industry is inherently fun - and so its no surprise that his classes were generally fun.

Brian is also a restaurant consultant via his business, Plan B Consulting. Aspiring restaurateurs, culinary students or those who need a "plan B" can reach Brian at buckley717@aol.com or by phone at 212-772-6861.

Anyway, Brian asked me to come in and talk to his Culinary Management class, of whom will be graduating in the next few weeks. I basically pointed out some of things that hit home with me from my I.C.E. experience, how it has played out in the real world, and then focused on SBA loans and budgeting as a priority.

The people in the class all had great concepts and I think some will really take off. I wish them all the luck in the world.

Here's a pic of the class


and here's a pic with me and Brian.

No comments: